Freight Claims Specialist
Duties / Responsibilities
The Claims Specialist has primary responsibility for OS&D. Investigating and resolving freight exceptions such as overages, shortages, damages, refused and unmarked freight.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and manage minor to serious third-party cargo, and property damage claims.
- Collect all necessary documents and information to file, investigate and resolve claims in a timely manner.
- Act as a liaison between KCH Transportation and customer to ensure high levels of service and prompt problem resolution
- Coordinate investigations with carriers, independent adjusters, attorneys, and insurance reps
- Analyze claims for subrogation potential and escalate when appropriate
- Communicate with insurance companies, agents, customers, etc.
- Coordinate with the Accounting Department for claim payments and accruals
- Customer Service
- Detailed, Accurate, and Efficient
- Verbal & Written Communication
- Dependability and Initiative
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Basic knowledge of the DOT/FMCSA rules and regulations
- Ability to identify and solve problems, perform under pressure, and meet deadlines
- Work with little or no supervision, and work well in a team setting
- Excellent communication, time management, and strong attention to detail
- Ability to assist in the development, documentation, and implementation of efficient procedures and best practices
Ability to comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of Terra Worldwide Logistics.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, Outlook, Internet Explorer)
Certificates and Licenses:
This position will not have any direct reports.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, smartphones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.